Monday, 11 January 2016

Locating Tutorial Two


Over Christmas, I visited Florence. It was the most beautiful place I have ever visited. The architecture and cathedrals were amazing and I was really in awe of the place. The galleries I visited had the works of Da Vinci and Michelangelo, which was overwhelming. The scale of the paintings and works within the Uffizi gallery were especially immense and I felt appreciative to have seen them and to have visited Florence. I took many photographs whilst there, however did not have much time to sit and draw in my sketchbook. I narrowed the photographs down to the most inspirational and visually pleasing images to take through to my drawing.




The Duomo Cathedral
The cathedrals were not only colossal and mesmerising; they were made up of different shapes and colour that could be a starting point for my drawing.




Santa Maria Novella Church
The Santa Maria Novella church had more intricate designs and patterns made up of the different marbles and colour.




The ceiling work in the Uffizi Gallery
The captivating ceilings within the Uffizi gallery as well as the many cathedrals and churches were also a point of inspiration.



After researching into context for my project, I knew I wanted it to be the high end of fashion portraying sophistication and quality. Whilst looking through WGSN and Pinterest, I discovered the work of fashion designer, Valentino and in particular his Spring 2014 collection. I noticed a direct link between the shapes and patterns seen in his work with the shapes and patterns seen on the cathedrals. Therefore, I would like to incorporate the cathedral shapes using print and embroidery embellishments to create the textile design for fashion inspired by Valentino Spring 2014 collection.  I believe I can work upon my skills within the print room/screen printing and challenge myself with the embroidery aspect to create beautiful samples and in the end the final sample.

Valentino Spring 2014 Collection



However, to achieve this I need to start drawing as soon as possible. I need to draw many elements from my photographs to create motifs and placement designs using Adobe Illustrator to help with composition to get a screen design done. As I learnt in my last project the sooner I get working in the print room the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment