Sunday, 22 November 2015

Evaluation of Intentions

This Unit has been up and down in motivation for me personally due to a few hitches here and there. One of the main reasons I lost motivation was due to not getting a space earlier in the print room. However, due to wanting more supporting samples, I preferred my digital samples over the samples I created in the print room as they were more final and the colours worked better. My print room samples were more experimentation and risk taking samples. Therefore, I have learnt I work better when there is an end finalised goal.

Looking back, I needed more time in the print room in order to experiment more as I produced a lot in the last week after managing to get a place in the print room for two whole days. In future projects and units I will make sure I am in the print room as much as possible as I enjoy working in there as well as the fact that it will help me to develop my samples in order to push for a better outcome.

The first two weeks of the unit were personally my most productive. I have not always been a lover of drawing, however when risk taking with techniques I haven’t pursued before, I managed to create some effective drawings that took me down a good pathway. My concept involving Manchester and Barbados inspired me the most out of any unit I have took part in. I believe this is because I was able to bring two amazing places together in my work in which I really enjoyed doing so.

Whilst digitally developing my prints, my productivity became quite slow. Although I came into Uni and worked at home almost every day, I felt I hadn’t got anywhere. I was constantly experimenting on Photoshop however, most of the prints didn’t seem good enough to use. Colour was a main issue within this unit. My palette wasn’t strong enough throughout and I was constantly being unfaithful to it. Mainly due to the fact that I was experimenting and not entirely focusing on the colour.  In future projects and units I will definitely be creating a good colour palette to use.

My productivity got faster when I was in the Print room in the last week. I enjoyed experimenting with foil and puff as well as layering prints using different fabrics. I produced a range of samples that have helped me develop on my printing skills. 

Puff Sample



Although my final collection is small, I could create other collections within the samples I have produced. There is a range of techniques and colour across my samples, however the final collection are my strongest. They link with each other through pattern, colour and context. To improve the collection I could have created some prints that didn’t use all the elements. Rather than having clustered prints, have some that show space. 

Final Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment