Throughout the unit ‘Origins’ I have learnt a range of
techniques which, if I had more time, would perfect and develop upon. I have
produced a good body of work in which I am proud of, yet maybe could do with a
few tweaks and more modification.
Within my first rotation of print, I experimented with
digital/Photoshop design, screen printing and hand painted croquets designs.
Screen printing was very time consuming and if I was given more time I would like to experiment with different fabrics and maybe introduce coloured fabrics to give my printing a background. One of my mono print designs unsuccessfully transferred to the type of fabric I used. When washed out the colour drained and therefore I realised in the future I would need to mix dyes and create more vivid, strong colours in order to maintain the print. Mixing dyes is time consuming yet it really does matter when it comes to the kind of quality you want to achieve within your work and in my case, important as I was keeping faithful to my colour palette.
Next time, I will be more mindful when choosing the right fabrics for the right kind of print. I also need to be more cautious about time and will thoroughly plan in advance when booking in to screen print.
On the other hand I enjoyed the hand painted and collage designs as I was more in control of colour as well as more hand on. I believe print is a possible path way for me.
Screen printing was very time consuming and if I was given more time I would like to experiment with different fabrics and maybe introduce coloured fabrics to give my printing a background. One of my mono print designs unsuccessfully transferred to the type of fabric I used. When washed out the colour drained and therefore I realised in the future I would need to mix dyes and create more vivid, strong colours in order to maintain the print. Mixing dyes is time consuming yet it really does matter when it comes to the kind of quality you want to achieve within your work and in my case, important as I was keeping faithful to my colour palette.
Next time, I will be more mindful when choosing the right fabrics for the right kind of print. I also need to be more cautious about time and will thoroughly plan in advance when booking in to screen print.
On the other hand I enjoyed the hand painted and collage designs as I was more in control of colour as well as more hand on. I believe print is a possible path way for me.
![]() |
| Successful print and unsuccessful print |
During my second rotation of Mixed Media, I learnt many 3D
skills working with paper and other found materials. At first I was having
difficulties working in a 3D manner and this communicated in my work. Compared
to many others, my work had a more 2D feel to it. Looking back, I should have
thought less about an end outcome and experimented as much as I could.
I also learnt to use the laser cutter which was a completely new experience for me. Even on my first attempt, my work was a bit too flat and therefore, I booked another space to work with the laser cutter and that time experimented more with cutting out and creating a more 3D outcome.
![]() |
| Experimenting with a more 3D outcome |
However, there was a few
difficulties when using the laser cutter. I wanted to test out different
materials but when I used a cotton fabric, rather than engrave the lines, the
laser cutter completely cut them. As a result of this I had to stop the laser
cutter and replace my fabric with card which concluded with less
experimentation on my part.
![]() |
| Cotton fabric failed in laser cutter |
Due to there not being enough time, I could not book another session which
would have really helped me to try out a range of different materials. This is defiantly
something to think about next time I use the laser cutter. I expected things to
go smoothly and when they didn’t and time was running out, I couldn’t improve
or perfect due to there being no other sessions before hand in.



No comments:
Post a Comment