Thursday, 6 November 2014

Contextual References

Manish Arora




This image shows two examples of Manish Arora’s 2011 autumn metal dresses. He is known for his astute craftsmanship and unique play on colours, such as his trademark palette of pink and gold. His designs are inspired by Indian heritage but with a contemporary vibe. I am very interested in mandala-like patterns as I normally work with surface designs and patterns for print. Therefore I have brought these kinds of shapes within my 3D work. 
Due to the use of metallic colours I will use foil as a material within my experiments. I could delicately cut into the foil to create these kinds of patterns, as well as take inspiration from my drawings.   



Sandra Fettingis




Sandra Fettingis mixes and layers materials such as acrylic styrene, wood, paper and paint and utilises the laser for its precision to create her installation pieces. I enjoy the compositions of her pieces as they create geometric graphic styled installations for exhibition. Inspired by her work I would like to experiment more with the laser cutter by combining cutting, engraving and raster engraving to create a range of samples. In doing this I will be incorporating different materials which will hopefully create different effects. Sandra Fettingis introduces colour within her work depicting only a part of her piece. Therefore I would like to try subtly introducing a colour within my work, whether it be on or maybe two laser cuttings. Although the colour she uses are vibrant and bold, I believe using more softer natural tones in my work will be more of a success.


Joanie Lemercier 



Lemercier presents unique light performances and installations that challenge the audience by creating optical illusions that questions perception of space. The idea of light acting as a material intrigues me and therefore I would like to experiment with light shining through cut paper to create a 3 dimensional sculpture. I could cut some of my own designs into paper and try out different ways in which I can use light to manipulate these. I am interested to see what I can learn and try out throughout this process. 

Tara Donavan



Tara Donovan creates large scaled installations and sculptures made with everyday found objects. She takes these materials that range from paper cups, buttons, tooth picks, drinking straws, pins, rubber bands etc and turns them into captivating sculptures. I am completely inspired by the way she layers and repeats these materials to the point where they become unrecognisable. I would like to experiment with found objects, using them as materials to create 3D sculptures similar to Tara Donavan's work. 

Lorenzo Duran 




I was in complete awe when I found Lorenzo Duran's work. My first thought was 'laser cutter' but when I explored his online portfolio he states that he worked in a 'long trial-and-error process' using a scalpel knife. The use of leaves rather than paper brings forward the theme of nature which creates a sense of preciousness within his art. I would like to try out this kind of process and material rather than the modern way of laser cutter as I believe the outcome has more worth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment