Weave came as a whole new experience to me and surprisingly
I really enjoyed it. I felt a real sense of achievement throughout the whole 3
weeks and produced work I was exceptionally happy with.
The first week consisted of learning the different weave
techniques which was quite fast paced, however I began to feel comfortable with
it. I started exploring and creating quick samples that I could look back on in
my technical file. Although these samples were not to the best quality where
the tension wasn’t as strong as it could’ve been as well as the fact that they
had no link with any kind of colour palette or visual research, they did show
every weave technique I learnt which helped me to start planning and thinking
about which weave patterns I could use in future samples, as well as reflecting
on the kind of colour palettes that may work well.
![]() |
| First Weave Samples |
However, in the first week I was subjected to a straight loom and so I couldn’t fully reach the potential of many of the weave patterns as they didn’t reflect and just stayed in a straight pattern.
I also tried to portray the many shades within the drawings
such as the white merging into grey. However, I did not take much care of
choosing the yarns specific enough to do this how I wanted. Rather than a
gradual change of tone like the drawing, there’s a sudden change in colour
within the weave. This affected the quality of this particular weave.
Within the third week, I carried on reflecting my drawings
into my weaves focusing on colour and texture. The drawing of the crab shells
show an interesting, softer colour palette. On the other hand the texture is
more rough and ridged.
As I became less interested in my drawings, I focused on
some photographs I had taken of my collection of bugs and butterflies. I used
the bold earthly colours in the photographs to create my weaves. I didn’t only
focus on the bugs themselves but the habitats surrounding them. I then went on
to develop my weaves focusing on colour alone.







No comments:
Post a Comment