Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Intentions Tutorial Two

When in a tutorial with a group of people, it helps me as well as inspiring me to try out different approaches within my project influenced by not only my tutor but my peers also. I was able to advise and share my techniques and processes as well as learning that of others.

 My drawing over the past week has focused mainly on collage with fine liner and black ink to start to communicate a sense of chaos and urban Manchester. Using found paper combined with drawings within my collages, influenced by the artist Eduardo Recife, creates original compositions and exciting ideas.

Eduardo Recife, Where did hope go? 2005



The drawing workshop last week introduced me to a new way of working by choosing a word and drawing in a style that portrays the meaning of the word. My main word choices were, chaotic, busy and compact influenced by my Manchester photographs. Due to the fact I was drawing in a chaotic way my drawing became less detailed, quite careless and free, yet still effective when combining various techniques with collaging found paper and elements from ripped up photographs. As I have never pushed the idea of collage within my art work, it came as a surprise that I’ve enjoyed working in this way.



Using different media and collage



 Some of my collages that introduced watercolours reminded me of the work of John Piper, however when in the tutorial we spoke about pushing the collage further than just watercolour on paper to create more drawings as I agreed I didn’t have enough to develop on. One idea was to introduce typography/text inspired by the street signs and shop signs reflected within my research and photographs of Manchester. The artist Tamara Villoslada uses text within her work to send a message, so I believe it will work to create more urban drawings. Eduardo Recife uses his handmade typography within his collages, which gives him his identity. On the other hand, introducing text could almost introduce too much of an urban theme and may override the rural side of my drawings. This will only become clear when I experiment with this idea.
 
Tamara Villoslada

To gather more research I knew I had to introduce elements from Barbados and Rachel advised me to have two different sketchbooks; one for Barbados and one for Manchester. However, when analysing the photographs from Barbados, I quickly realised there was not enough detail which limited my ideas for drawing. The main thing that dominated and stood out from the Barbados photographs was the bright vivid colours. Therefore, the next week of gathering visual research will introduce colours from Barbados merged with visual details and imagery from Manchester to combine the contrasting areas and communicate the theme of Urban/Rural. 

No comments:

Post a Comment