In the past week, I have
had little motivation for the Unit. My initial direction for the project was
screen print and this week we have been told there is no room to book into the
print room. Although I will be checking again next week I have had to pursue a more
digital approach to the project.
Starting with transfer
prints, I created designs on Photoshop determining colour and composition. I
was not overjoyed with my first few samples from the heat press as the colours
were not what I expected. They came out darker than and not as effective as
they seemed on a computer screen. However, after a few more attempts and
experimentation I realised the kinds of colours I wanted to achieved seemed to
get more and more similar when I pressed them for less time. Each individual
print I heat transferred used a different amount of time on the heat press as I
wanted to determine which amount of time made the most useful prints. After more
and more experimentation I finally familiarised myself with the heat press and
my prints became more skilful and strong.
![]() |
| Heat Transfer Experiments |
One of my favourite heat transfer
prints I created was a happy mistake. I had some fabric left over and although
most my transfer papers had become used and dull I overlaid certain parts of
various prints to create an almost printed collage affect. Due to this conscious
link to my drawings I feel like I should try and pursue this printed collage
affect with more of my future prints.
In the tutorial Rachel advised me to start working on a bigger scale with my prints/drawings and mentioned to come out of my sketchbook. Although I prefer to work within a sketchbook I will make time to come out of my sketchbook whether that be on paper or fabric and have some colour boards and various drawings for assessment.
This week I will work on a colour board and persist with digital developments for printed interiors and accessories.
![]() |
| 'Happy Mistake' |
In the tutorial Rachel advised me to start working on a bigger scale with my prints/drawings and mentioned to come out of my sketchbook. Although I prefer to work within a sketchbook I will make time to come out of my sketchbook whether that be on paper or fabric and have some colour boards and various drawings for assessment.
This week I will work on a colour board and persist with digital developments for printed interiors and accessories.


No comments:
Post a Comment