The realisation of the fact that I have three weeks left of
this project and I have not yet been in the print room is quite daunting.
Therefore this week I have been focusing my attention on Screen designs and compositions.
I have made up a few screen ideas in repeat and placement so I could get started on experimentation in the print room, however I felt as if the designs were too plain, all had the same line work and were all made up of similar shapes and I wasn’t really sure whether to go ahead with them. I waited until this tutorial so I could get advice from Rachel and the others in the group.
I have made up a few screen ideas in repeat and placement so I could get started on experimentation in the print room, however I felt as if the designs were too plain, all had the same line work and were all made up of similar shapes and I wasn’t really sure whether to go ahead with them. I waited until this tutorial so I could get advice from Rachel and the others in the group.
![]() |
| Screen Design Ideas |
I was
told to include more of a contrast in shapes/lines/repeats etc within my designs
to create a more visually pleasing and dynamic screen design for
experimentation with devore. I believe, although my designs need to be clear,
they should be as small and as detailed as possible in order to get the soft,
subtle effects I want to achieve. Hopefully, this will echo a Florentine style
with the details inspired by the details of the marble cathedrals. To achieve
this, I will experiment more with compositions, lines and shapes to create an
effective screen design.
As well as working towards designs onto screen, I have been
working on digital designs which will create a background for the samples. My
digital designs have been created from my texture drawings, which have then
been edited on Photoshop. Although the colour in one of my samples came out a
little too bright for what I wanted to accomplish, I will still use it and the
other prints to experiment with when I get in the print room. Eventually, I will
most likely need to create more digital samples anyway which will give me the
chance to carefully depict and edit colour in order to produce a subtleness and
lightness to reflect that of the Florence cathedral colours.
![]() |
| Digital Print Designs |
Apart from the one failed sample, I do believe the colours
work well on the silk viscose satin as the fabric adds a shine to it. It’s a
good coincidence in reference to my context, as the fabric looks and has a feel
of high end fashion which could work well as scarfs. Although I haven’t been
focusing on scarfs as a possible outcome, I don’t want to rule it out.
Therefore, I should do some fashion illustrations in order to work out exactly
what kind of garments these prints will work well on.
![]() |
| Digitally printed fabrics |
When I get into the print room and start producing samples, I
will understand more about what garment shapes to portray my designs onto.



No comments:
Post a Comment