To develop upon my research so far and to take it further, I
walked around Manchester taking photographs of the surfaces and textures I
could find. My photographs varied from capturing natural weather decay as well
as manmade patterns and surfaces. This established the kind of surfaces I
wanted to take further in the theme of texture. I was quite disappointed in my
photographs in some ways due to the fact that what I found around Manchester
was not as vibrant and interesting as the images of weather decay I found
throughout my research. However, this also shown me a new direction in which I
could take, in terms of not shapes, colour and textures I could depict from
them.
![]() |
| Original Photographs of Surface Texture in Manchester |
From my photographs, I started to draw from them using mark
making techniques where I used every day, household, found objects to form
shapes and texture. I portrayed the shape seen within the photographs and using
some of the found objects I built up textures inspired by my photographs. For
example I painted on bubble wrap and printed with it on paper to create a
peeling paint texture. I did these drawings on a small square of paper using my
colour inspiration from the photographs.
![]() |
| Mark Making Drawings from Photographs |
The drawings linked in with my theme of surface texture
really well and therefore I decided to develop them further with the use of
Photoshop. I made each mark making into a brush and started layering up the
different brush strokes to get an idea of what kind of textures could be made.
![]() |
| Photoshop Brush stroke Developments (Green) |
In an independent
crit with friends I was advised to add another energetic colour to the green
tones that I was using for my colour palette. I chose the colour orange as it
was a constant colour within photographs of weather decay that I had seen and
captured. I believe this small adjustment makes a big difference within the
samples, improving the quality and professionalism.
![]() |
| Photoshop Brush Development (Orange) |
Although using Photoshop is a digital technique, the
layering side to it made me think about screen printing and gave me ideas for
each screen and a direction in which to layer them. As I had not yet thought up
of a solid idea for screens I decided to digitally print some samples to
understand the quality I could get if I decided to go down this route. The
samples were not as responsive and didn’t communicate much texture throughout.
This stabilised my decision to go down the route of screen printing as this
pathway would also link in closely when thinking about my context research.
![]() |
| Digital Samples |
Due to the surface textured theme to my work, I believe the
best contextual outcome would be either a scarf or head scarf as it would look
more interesting when folded, bunched up or tied up. The different textures
could be placed in anyway the wearer would like as they will have the control
to fold/tie the scarf as they please. Therefore I will most likely use a light
weight fabric such as silk so it can hang on the neck or head comfortably.
![]() |
| Contextual References |






No comments:
Post a Comment